Saturday, July 30, 2016
Quick and Dirty Checklist for Modifying Word Templates
I was asked recently for the basic steps on how to modify Word templates. They didn't need step-by-step instructions, just something to help them along the way. Here's the list I came up with. I'm sure something is missing, I trust you will correct me where I'm wrong. As I told my colleague, this is the best I could do waiting for the train.
Modifying Word Templates can be kind of tricky. I've accumulated the steps and put them together in a list. Of course, before you try any of this you should back up your database, your existing Word templates as well as your Reports dictionaries.
1. Modify the Report Writer report such that it is properly printing (without errors) the values you are wanting to print on your Word template. Be careful of what section you place your new fields, it matters. If the Report Writer report doesn't print clean, you can't move on and expect to succeed.
2. Change your Alternate/Modified Forms & Reports ID so that you are pointing to your modified report.
3. Print your modified report. In the report destination window, there is a field 'What Type'. Here you select the option between Template and Standard. Choose standard, don't hit OK yet.
4. In the Destination Area, check both Screen and File.
5. Browse to a place you want to save your file, say the desktop, and change the file format to .XML
6. The Report Writer work is done, now you have to address your Word Template. I'm going to presume you have templates turned on and you have the template we're modifying set up as the default template for your company.
7. Open the Template Maintenance window and find the template you want to modify.
8. Once you have it in the window, click the Modify button at the top of the window.
9. Word will open to a layout version of your report. Save this on your desktop.
10. Click on the Developer Tab in Word's ribbon bar/tool bar.
11. If you do not have a Developer tab, turn it on using Word Options
12. Over to the far right you'll see the Dynamics logo - the colorful one, click it. It says field list under it. If you do not have the Dynamics logo button, install the Word Addin from the GP install media.
13. When you click on Field List, a pane opens up on the left side of the window. At the top of that pane is XML Resource
14. Click on the down-pointing chevron and select SOP Blank Order Form
15. Back to the Developer Section, select Remove Source. Accept the warning.
16. With the old source gone, now you nee to add a new source.
17. Click on Add Source and select that XML file you created from Report Writer.
18. Put the new fields on your template and make any other changes you want.
19. Save the Word Document to your desktop and don't forget its name.
20. Close Word.
21. Go back to GP and open the Report Template Maintenance window if it isn't already open.
23. Select the Template Name of the report you modified and click on the green plus sign near the top.
24. Select the Word Document you just saved after your modifications.
25. Click OK when it tells you you've already got a template with this name.
25. Double-check your assignments and print your newly modified report.